Webtrends Optimize can be configured by customers to collect a variety of information pertinent to their sites, and collects some basic site traffic information by default. The following table outlines what information is collected by default for data collection server calls. Webtrends Optimize collects the following information by default:
- sessionID – Random value assigned to a session to tie all hits together.
- User ID – Randomly generated user identification stored as cookie (_wt.user) with a default expiration of 90-days.
- Test ID – Identifies the Optimize test served. This information is returned as a cookie (_wt.control) with a default expiration of 90-days.
- Timestamp – Date and time of the event.
- Timezone offset – Offset of the visitor in relation to UTC.
- userAgent – Visitor’s user agent string. Optional (see below).
- IP Address – Visitor’s IP address. Optional (see below).
- Referrer – Visit’s referring URL. Optional (see below).
- Conversion – Label assigned to a hit to identify it as a conversion event. This information is returned as a temporary cookie (_wt.conversion) which expires at end of session.
- Existing first party cookies – these cookies are sent by default to enable segmentation and targeting.
Webtrends Optimize provides clients with a test-level setting to control whether or not to collect optional information by default. This setting controls the collection of the userAgent, IP Address, and Referrer as indicated above.
With default data collection on, the optional information above is written to disk at the data collection site, and transferred to Webtrends data center in the USA for processing (such as deriving geographical info from the IP Address) and storage.
With default data collection off, the optional information described above is passed to the data collection server as part of the request for content to be delivered but remains in memory and expires at the end of the hit request. This information can be used for targeting and segmentation, but is neither written to disk nor transferred to Webtrends data processing center.
See also http://help.webtrends.com/en/Optimize/OTS_segments_attributes.html for details of the report segments built from the information above.