Data permissions are used to “filter” Explore data–for example, to prevent users in different departments or geographical areas from seeing each others’ data. Groups can be used to associate users with specific data permissions.
To assign or restrict user data permissions, you either assign groups with the data permissions you want the user to have, or assign the permissions directly to the user. We strongly recommend that you use groups.
To start managing data permissions:
- Click Account Settings on the top menu bar.
- Select Data Permissions from the left sidebar.
To view details of an existing data permission, click the permission’s name in the Name column.
What is a valid data permission?
A valid data permission has:
- A unique name
- At least one expression, with at least one value
To create a data permission:
- Click .
- Click and drag a parameter you want to define to the appropriate area at right. You can also use the search field at upper left to find parameters.
- Define the allowed or restricted parameter. You can add and define as many parameters as you like. To duplicate a parameter and edit it, click at the right of a parameter.
- When you are finished defining parameters, click .
- Give the permission a name and description. If you want to return to editing parameters before finishing, click .
- When you are finished, click . The new permission is shown in the data permissions list. Click in the Groups or Users column for more information about groups and users associated with a specific data permission.
To see which group are associated with a data permission, click the group count in the Number of Groups column.